Builders and contractors
Request a meter activation for temporary heat or inspections with the online form.
Read the Guidelines to help you understand more about using natural gas for newly constructed commercial properties
Need heat for construction?
Whether you use a portable heater or an approved furnace for construction heat, we can help.
Request for meter activation
Send a request for meter activation for temporary heat.
A charge of $70+hst per premise will be applied to your bill.
Note: For Construction Heat, only manufacturer’s certified installation instructions indicating acceptability of the furnace for construction heat use will be accepted
For finishing heat
Complete the residential finishing heat activation prior to activating a furnace for finishing heat. The finishing heat form should be kept on site at the gas furnace location.
Requirements before sending a Finishing Heat request
- Heat can be requested only after the drywall, sanding, and first coat of wall primer have been applied.
- The premises must be cleaned of all loose debris and drywall dust, and caution must be taken on a regular basis by the builder/constructor to ensure the indoors remains in this cleaned condition.
- Pressure test tag must be complete and present
Need more information on our temporary heat programs?
Cancel an appointment
Submit the cancel a meter activation or inspection. At least 1 day advance notice is required. Same day cancellations may be subject to charges.
Initial installation checklist
- All major construction and finishing work has been completed.
- The home has been cleaned of all construction and finishing materials.
- All gas equipment is fully installed as per local code and ready to be activated.
- Furnace and ductwork are cleaned and new filters installed to ensure there is no residual drywall and/or construction debris.
- Manufacturers' installation and operation instructions are present.
- All interior/exterior gas piping is installed in accordance with all local code.
- Pressure test tag(s) are complete and present.
- All appliance vents (combustion and air intake) are installed in accordance with all local codes.
- All gas pipe and appliance vents are sealed at entrance points.
- All clearances to the natural gas meter and regulator(s) are met.
- Note: All furnaces used for construction or finishing heat must be commissioned by the HVAC Contractor prior to the inspection for home owner occupancy.
Send a request for inspections prior to homeowner occupancy.
Cancel an appointment
Submit the cancel a meter activation or inspection form. At least 1 day advance notice is required. Same day cancellations may be subject to charges.
To ensure you are not continuing to pay for natural gas service when the new homeowner moves in, you can provide closing dates (sale of their homes) to us.
We will transfer account and gas bills to the new homeowners on the closing date.
Complete a builder closing request.
Ensuring worker and public safety is our number one priority. Before any demolition work can begin on a property, the natural gas service must be safely disconnected by Enbridge Gas and natural gas lines must be located to avoid damage.
What you need to do
Disconnect gas - Contact us at 1-877-362-7434 to get started. We require a minimum of 44 days from the time your payment is received to the date the work is completed.
What we will do
- Apply for a permit with the municipality.
- Visit the site to assess the necessary resources and the cost to complete the work.
- Provide a quote for the expected work. Our fee is regulated by the Ontario Energy Board. We require written confirmation that the property owner accepts these charges and consents to the cut off. If we don’t receive confirmation by a specified date, we can’t proceed with the work. At that point, the work request will be terminated.
- Request underground utility locates for the area where we’ll be working.
- Contact you to provide a scheduled cut-off date.