Enbridge Gas' Response to COVID-19
Safely delivering the energy Ontario families and businesses need, supporting customers and communities
A message from Cynthia Hansen, Executive Vice President and President, Gas Distribution & Storage, Enbridge Inc.
This is a time unlike any other in recent memory, around the world and here at home in Ontario. I want you to know that the team here at Enbridge Gas is working hard to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, protect the health and safety of the public and our employees, and support our communities and customers. Read on to learn about the steps we are taking to safely deliver the energy we all depend on, now more than ever.
Quick linksCustomer relief Saving energy In the community Investing in our future FAQ
Need help paying your bill? We're committed to helping homes and businesses manage their natural gas bills during this challenging time. If you have concerns about paying your bill, our enhanced payment plans can help.
COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program
Enhanced payment plans
Choose your service territory to learn more:Union Gas Enbridge Gas Distribution
If you are unsure which website you need, use our postal code lookup tool to get to the right information.
We have programs to help you lower natural gas use, save you money, make your space greener and more comfortable.
In the community
We're providing support to food banks, social service agencies, mental health organizations, first responders, healthcare providers and others who provide relief to people most vulnerable to COVID-19's impacts.
Personal protective equipment
Many individuals and businesses are applying for financial relief through the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). You'll need to apply for the CERB directly from the CRA website.
Canadians are seeing an increase of fraudulent emails, text messages and phone calls as scammers try to take advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic. Enbridge Gas does not visit homes or business without an appointment and we do not sell natural gas, appliances or any related services door-to-door or by phone. Please contact us if you think you've been contacted by someone pretending to be from Enbridge Gas.
Investing in our future
Towards a greener, more sustainable future
As we look to recover from COVID-19, investments in low-carbon solutions are an opportunity to continue the positive environmental gains seen during the pandemic.
See how energy efficiency and clean technologies like Renewable Natural Gas reduce GHG emissions and provide a carbon-neutral nenewable energy source to heat homes, power businesses and fuel municipal fleets.Getting to net zero
Providing jobs, tax revenue and affordable energy
The economic impact of COVID-19 has hit Ontario hard. By investing in energy infrastructure projects across the province, we're ensuring that Ontarians can continue to rely on affordable energy and help rebuild our economy.
Our ongoing projects will bring natural gas to new communities, provide thousands of local jobs and generate millions in annual tax dollars that can go towards schools, roads and other critical services.Where we're investing
Frequently asked questions
Your natural gas service
Enbridge Gas has robust pandemic and business continuity plans in place to ensure we can continue to provide natural gas service to homes and businesses. We are prepared and have experience managing operations through large-scale crisis, as we've done before for previous emergency conditions like H1N1. We've communicated with our suppliers and contractors, and they too have detailed business continuity plans in place to ensure the safety of their workforce.
Billing and payment options
We understand that this is a particularly difficult time for customers, who may be facing unexpected financial challenges as a result of COVID-related work interruptions or slowdowns.
That's why offer enhanced payment plans for customers who have concerns about their ability to pay their utility bill and to help avoid late payment fees. Information is available here:
- Homes and businesses formerly served by Union Gas
- Homes and businesses formerly served by Enbridge Gas Distribution
We're also providing support to communities by advancing funds for food banks, social service agencies, mental health organizations, first responders and healthcare providers who provide relief to people most vulnerable to COVID-19's impacts.
The Federal Government has announced relief funding which includes temporary income support for Canadians who face financial challenges related to the COVID-19 outbreak. The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) and the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines (Ministry) is also developing the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program or CEAP. We will advise when eligibility and delivery of the program is available in the coming weeks.
Our health and safety teams are actively monitoring this situation and we have closely reviewed our pandemic and business continuity plans in light of COVID-19. We're following the latest guidance provided by public health officials and government authorities.
We're doing our part to help prevent the spread of the virus by practicing social distancing where possible, both for our team and our customers, while also maintaining safe and reliable operations by:
- Placing strict limitations on business travel and cancelling large group meetings.
- Implementing work-at-home plans for roles suited to working remotely.
- Providing information to our employees on universal cold and flu precautions such as frequent hand washing and requiring them to stay at home if they feel unwell.
- Implementing protocols for employees who enter customer homes and businesses for essential work such as emergency response including introducing pre-screening questions for customer visits and augmented PPE requirements where necessary. No Enbridge Gas employee or contractor that is feeling ill or may have been exposed to any COVID-19 risk factors will conduct work in customer homes or businesses.
- Augmenting existing work procedures on our construction sites to protect the health and safety of our communities, employees and contractors including site pre-screening, heightened disinfection practices, physical distancing, close-proximity work procedures when the work task cannot accommodate physical distancing, enhanced personal protective equipment and staggered work hours.
- Before entering your home or business, we will be conducting a survey before booking your appointment. If you answer yes to any of the questions below, you will need to book your appointment in 14 days or once your self-quarantine is complete.
- Has anyone at your address been advised to self-isolate for 14 days due to exposure to COVID-19 or because of travel?
- Has anyone at your address had close contact with someone known to have COVID-19?
- Have you or anyone at your address been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Are you experiencing any of the below COVID-19 symptoms?
- Shortness of breath
- Painful swallowing
- Stuffy nose, sinus congestion, runny nose (not related to seasonal allergies or previously diagnosed health conditions)
- Headaches (not related to a previously diagnosed health condition)
- Muscle or joint ache
- Sore throat
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Unusual fatigue/exhaustion
- Digestive issues i.e. nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain (not related to a previously diagnosed health condition)
- Unexplained loss of appetite
- Recent loss of sense of smell or taste
Enbridge Gas will continue to respond to emergency calls such as gas leaks or calls from customers who do not have heat. We will also continue to undertake work that is needed to ensure we can reliably and safely deliver natural gas services to homes and businesses such as safety inspections, new service installations for homes or businesses pending occupancy or without heat, maintenance and emergency repairs to our natural gas system and essential construction projects. Additional work such as meter exchanges and some customer requested meter work have also resumed, where it is safe to do so. Where this work requires us to enter homes and businesses, we've implemented protocols to ensure public and employee safety including pre-screening questions for customer visits and augmented personal protective equipment requirements where necessary. No Enbridge Gas employee or contractor that is feeling ill or may have been exposed to any COVID-19 risk factors will conduct work in customer homes or businesses.
In order to do our part in helping to limit the spread of COVID-19, we need to ensure that we practice social distancing where possible for our team and our customers, while also maintaining safe and reliable operations. These are precautionary changes to ensure we have sufficient resources to safely and reliably deliver the natural gas services that our customers rely on.
The scheduled replacement of meters and the accompanying inspection of the natural gas equipment in your home / business, is an important part of an ongoing maintenance plan that ensures your natural gas service continues to operate safely and is a requirement under Ontario safety regulations. We’ve implemented enhanced protocols to ensure public and employee safety including pre-screening questions for customer visits and augmented personal protective equipment requirements where necessary. No Enbridge Gas employee or contractor that is feeling ill or may have been exposed to any COVID-19 risk factors will conduct work in customer homes or businesses.
We are following the latest guidance provided by public health officials and government authorities. Our meter readers are taking extra precautions to keep the public safe including practicing proper hygiene, maintaining physical distancing and not coming to work if they are not well or have had any risk of exposure.
Meter changes will only occur through booked appointments. If you are unable to have your meter change completed in the required timeframe, we can temporarily defer the work.
We are following the latest guidance provided by public health officials and government authorities. This includes pre-screening questions for customer visits and the use of personal protective equipment where necessary. In addition our representatives are taking extra precautions to keep the public safe including maintaining physical distancing, practicing proper hygiene and no Enbridge Gas employee or contractor that is feeling ill or may have been exposed to any COVID-19 risk factors will conduct work in customer homes or businesses.
Access to our Ombudsman office at 500 Consumers Blvd, in North York and the Niagara contact centre in Thorold are closed to walk-in-traffic. Customers can still access these offices by phone. Work-at-home plans are in place for roles suited to working remotely.
We are committed to meeting the growing demand for reliable and affordable energy in Ontario and we will continue to move essential infrastructure projects forward.