Carbon monoxide safety

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas, often called the 'silent killer' because it is odourless and colourless. If it goes undetected, exposure to high levels can cause brain damage or even death. Common sources of CO are poorly maintained or malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances, damaged or blocked venting, a blocked chimney or a car running in an attached garage. 

CO safety contest - Is your home CO safe?

Show us and you could win one of five $100 prizes*. Entering is easy:

  • Take a picture or video of your carbon monoxide alarm being tested
  • Share it on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #IamCOsafe and mention @enbridgegas
  • Follow @enbridgegas on Twitter or Instagram

By following us and sharing your photo or video using the hashtag #IamCOsafe and mentioning @enbridgegas you will automatically be entered to win. The contest is open from November 1 to 30, 2018. *Read the full contest rules.

Stop the silent killer

  • Get an annual inspection of all your fuel-burning appliances by a registered contractor.
  • If your home has a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace, or attached garage, you are legally required to install a CO alarm near all sleeping areas.
  • For added protection, install a CO alarm on each level of your home.
  • Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing and maintaining your CO alarms.
  • Test your alarms monthly and replace the batteries when necessary.
  • Never use outdoor fuel-burning equipment (generators, patio heaters, barbecues) inside your home or garage as a temporary heat source.
  • If your CO alarm sounds, or anyone has symptoms of CO poisoning (similar to the flu without the fever), get outside immediately and call 911.

To learn more, visit the Technical Standards and Safety Authority's CO Safety website or the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services Carbon Monoxide Alarm Portal.

snow gas meter

Keep your meter clear

man sewer inspection

Sewer safety

if you smell gas call 1-866-763-5427

Smell gas ?