In its pure state, natural gas is odourless. For your safety, we add an odourant to to give it a distinctive smell.
Learn what natural gas smells like with our free scratch 'n sniff pamphlet. Email us your name, address, and how many you would like.
If you smell gas, act fast. For free emergency responsive service, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, call us at 1-866-763-5427.
Signs of a natural gas leak
Smell–A distinctive rotten egg or sulphur like odour.
Sound–Hissing, roaring or whistling.
Sight–Damaged connections to natural gas appliances or vegetation that is dead or dying for no reason.
If you suspect a natural gas leak
- Act quickly and remain calm
- Go outside or leave the area immediately
- Call our 24-hour Emergency Number: 1-866-763-5427
- Never assume someone has already called
Follow these safety precautions
- Don't use phones or electronics near the leak
- Don't turn appliances or lights on or off
- Don't smoke or use lights or matches
- Don't start any vehicles or motors
- If leaking natural gas is burning, call 911 — don't attempt to put the fire out yourself
2018 Smellfie Contest
Natural gas really stinks. We want to educate you about natural gas safety and take a picture of your reaction to the awful smell of natural gas – this is your smellfie!
Stop by the Enbridge Smellfie booth at popular events across Ontario. You’ll get to try our Scratch ‘n Sniff to take a whiff of what natural gas actually smells like. Our team will take your smellfie, provide you with your photo to take home, and help you enter the contest for a chance to win one of ten $500 prizes*.
*Read the full 2018 Smellfie Contest Rules and Regulations.