If you smell natural gas, act fast. For free emergency response service, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, call our emergency number at 1-866-763-5427 or 911 from a safe distance (like a neighbour's home).
In its pure state, natural gas is odourless. For your safety, we add an odourant to give natural gas a distinctive rotten egg smell.
Signs of a natural gas leak
Sight – Damaged connections to natural gas appliances or vegetation that is dead or dying for no reason.
Sound - Hissing or whistling.
Smell - A distinctive rotten egg or sulphur-like odour.
If you suspect a natural gas leak:
- Act quickly and remain calm.
- Go outside or leave the area immediately.
- Call our 24-hour emergency number at 1-866-763-5427 or 911
- Never assume someone has already called.
Follow these safety precautions:
- Don't use phones or electronics near the leak.
- Don't turn appliances or lights on/off.
- Don't smoke or use lighters or matches.
- Don't start any vehicles or motors.
- If leaking natural gas is burning, call 911 — don't attempt to put the fire out yourself.