Once your home is connected to natural gas, it’s easy to add cooking appliances such as stoves and outdoor grills. Natural gas stoves give you instant heat with an adjustable flame and are energy efficient. A natural gas barbecue means you’ll never need to fill your propane tank again.
Looking for the perfect recipe for entertaining? This delicious Chicken & Shrimp Paella recipe is a flavourful dish for any occasion.
Looking for a new recipe? Try these delicious dishes Chicken Parmesan, Argentinian Steak with Chimichurri and Sweet Potatoes on a natural gas barbecue. You can also try our Grilled Peaches recipe on ice cream. It's easy and delightful.
Ways to save on cooking
To cut back on the cost of cooking, consider switching to energy efficient appliances and follow these tips:
Save while using your stove
- Use the burner size that matches your pot.
- Flat-bottomed pans make greater contact with your burner.
- Use lids to conserve heat and speed up cooking time.
- Turn your burner down once liquids boil.
Save while using your oven
- Defrost food before cooking to cut energy use by a third.
- Don’t pre-heat your oven for dishes that take over an hour to cook.
- Avoid opening your oven door- 20 percent of the heat escapes each time you do.
- Turn your oven off a few minutes before the timer- the remaining heat will finish the job.
Tips for buying stoves and barbecues
Cooking with gas is a reliable and affordable option. With so many natural gas stoves and barbecues to choose from, picking the perfect appliance for your cooking needs can be challenging. Consider these tips to find the perfect fit for inside and outside your property.
Always ensure that a certified HVAC technician completes the installation.
Buying a natural gas stove, oven or range
- Self-cleaning ovens are better insulated and save energy.
- Stay safe by choosing a model with knobs mounted on the front or side of the stove so you don’t have to reach over hot elements when you are cooking.
- Look for ovens with safety features such as auto-lock, auto-shut off or time-controlled shut off to help keep your family safe.
Buying a natural gas barbecue
- Most barbecues allow you to choose your fuel source. Make sure that the one you choose is compatible with natural gas.
- Barbecues with fat drainage systems will help reduce flare-ups.
- Warming racks, side-burners and food prep areas are great add-ons that make grilling an entire meal easy and convenient.
- Two-burner systems have better heat control and work well for indirect cooking.
Visit our appliance safety tips page for tips to keep your home safe and enjoy cooking for family or friends on your natural gas stove or barbecue.
Enbridge Gas does not sell or repair natural gas products like dryers, fireplaces and pool heaters. However, you can consult a registered heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) contractor to learn more.