Prevent an appliance malfunction or service interruption
Keeping your natural gas meter and natural gas appliance vents clear throughout the year is essential to your home safety and well-being.
During colder months, gently clear snow and ice from your natural gas meter, regulator and natural gas appliance vents to help avoid safety hazards, service interruptions and appliance malfunctions. Watch the short, interactive video (right) to test your safety smarts.
How to clear your meter
Add these important steps to your routine.
If you suspect a problem or cannot remove ice build-up yourself, call us at 1-866-763-5427. We’ll take care of it for you.
Frequently asked questions
As a resident or the property owner, you are responsible for maintaining the gas line that extends past the gas meter into your home and for the safe operation, maintenance and repair of the natural gas appliances.
Keep them clear throughout the year. In winter months, after every storm, gently clear snow or ice with a soft broom or brush. Protect the natural gas meter from overhead hazards such as icicles. In warmer months, keep the area free of plants, shrubbery and landscaping.
It’s also important to maintain a clear path to your natural gas meter so it can be reached safely at all times for accurate meter readings and emergency situations. Please ensure any pets (dogs especially) are identified (posting a sign is great), as they will need to be removed from the area to access the meter when required.
Call us at 1-866-763-5427 to report icing problems—we’ll take care of it for you. Do not try to melt or break the ice yourself. Never hit, kick or use sharp objects on your natural gas meter.
Repair any leaks right away. Water dripping on your natural gas meter, regulator or natural gas appliance vents can freeze, cause damage and create a safety hazard.
Call us at 1-866-763-5427 if you suspect a problem.
Every natural gas meter installation has a regulator and a pressure relief vent. Build-up can impact the ability to control the pressure of the natural gas supplied to your home, which could lead to a loss of heat, a fire or even an explosion.
Snow or ice build-up can also damage your natural gas meter’s piping, which could cause a natural gas leak.
Appliance intake and exhaust vents that are blocked by snow, ice or other debris can cause natural gas appliances to malfunction, which could release dangerous carbon monoxide (CO) into your home.
Explore more important safety topics
Smell natural gas?
If you smell rotten eggs or sulphur, leave the area immediately and call 911.Know the signs
Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and how to prevent it.Protect your home
Call before you dig
It’s the law to find out where underground utility lines are located before you start digging.Know what’s below