Report online fraud
At Enbridge Gas, we take phishing and spoofing attempts on our customers very seriously.
If you encounter an e-mail, a social media ad, web page, text message or phone call—that you suspect is not from Enbridge Gas, please report it to us by sending the e-mail or web page to email@example.com.
How to report a phishing or spoofed e-mail, social media and or web page:
- Open a new e-mail and attach the e-mail you suspect is fake. For suspicious web pages, copy and paste the link into the email body. If you can't send the e-mail as an attachment, you can forward it.
- Send the e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sending this suspicious e-mail as an attachment is the best way for us to track it. Enbridge Gas will not respond to e-mails sent to email@example.com, but we will investigate with the highest priority.
Tips for handling phishing and spoofing
Suspicious phone calls or voicemails
- Never provide personal or confidential information over the phone. Always hang up and call back using a phone number from a bill or from our website.
How to identify suspicious e-mails or text messages:
- The message begins with a generic greeting such as "Dear Customer" or "Dear Sir/Madam".
- The suspicious or unsolicited message contains links or attachments.
- The message requests personal information, such as a credit card number or account password.
- To determine if an email, social media post or digital ad is a phishing scam, hover your mouse over the link. If the link is not “enbridgegas.com” do not click on it.
If you have concerns about social media posts, websites or digital ads claiming to be from Enbridge Gas, here are some good consumer tips:
- Confirm our current valid rebates and offerings by visiting our free rebates and upgrades page.
- To determine if an email, social media post or digital ad is a phishing scam hover your mouse over the link. If the link is not “enbridgegas.com” do not click on it.
- The Ontario Energy Board publishes information around current scams that are in the marketplace.
- Contact the OEB if you are concerned about any suspicious communications by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-877-632-2727 (toll-free within Ontario).
- To report an incident, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre toll-free at 1-888-495-8501.
At your door
At Enbridge Gas, all employees and authorized contractors (including, but not limited to, Aecon Group Inc., GTel Engineering, Hetek Solutions Inc., Link-Line, Lakeside Gas Services and MET Utilities Management) are required to wear a visible identification card.
What we do:
- Meter reading: Every other month an Enbridge Gas representative or authorized contractor will read the natural gas meter at your home or business and, if required, will perform natural gas meter maintenance. In most cases, this work is completed outside and our service representatives will not enter the building.
- Meter exchanges: Natural gas meters are replaced periodically in accordance with Measurement Canada requirements to ensure safety and accuracy of measurement. If your meter requires replacement you will be notified in advance and asked to book an appointment. Enbridge Gas representatives or our authorized contractors completing this work will provide identification. After the meter is replaced, the service technician will turn on the gas supply, complete a mandatory inspection of your gas appliances and piping, and restart the natural gas equipment.
- Unplanned service outages: In the event of an unplanned service outage that impacts your home, Enbridge Gas representatives may request access to your home to restore gas service and restart your natural gas appliances. Enbridge Gas representatives or our authorized contractors completing this work will provide identification.
- Energy-efficiency programs: Enbridge Gas offers a variety of energy-efficiency programs, which are delivered by authorized service delivery partners. Representatives will only come to your door for Enbridge Gas programs such as Home Efficiency Rebate and Home Winterproofing programs, when an appointment has been booked, or in an area where we are connecting new customers to natural gas service.
What we don't do:
- We do not sell natural gas door-to-door.
- We do not sell, rent, or service natural gas appliances or smart thermostats.
- Our representatives will never come to your door and ask to see your natural gas bill or sign a contract.
Actions you can take
Please contact us if you have any concerns about people showing up at your door representing themselves as being from Enbridge Gas, or feel like you have been misled.
Visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/consumer-protection-ontario and learn more about your rights as a consumer.