From organic waste to renewable energy
RNG is a carbon-neutral fuel that can help fight climate change.
Created by capturing methane emissions from organic waste, landfills and wastewater treatment plants, RNG will play an important role in Ontario’s clean energy future. RNG can be used to fuel transit fleets, power industry and heat homes and businesses, and is an effective solution to help companies and communities reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
More RNG benefits
- Captures methane that would otherwise be released into the atmosphere.
- Can be blended into natural gas applications.
- Reliable and resilient against extreme weather.
Learn more about RNG
How RNG is made and used
Cost comparison of energy sources
Turning Green Bin waste into fuel for fleetsCity of Toronto: Dufferin Solid Waste Management Facility
The facility processes 55,000 tonnes of organic waste generated from the city’s Green Bin program. By turning it into RNG, it can be added to the natural gas system and used to fuel the city’s waste collection fleet.
- Will turn 35 percent of the city’s organic waste into RNG.
- Eliminates more than 9,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions.
- Contributes to producing approximately 3.3 million m3 of RNG.
Curbing emissions from water treatmentCity of Hamilton: Hamilton Water Treatment Plant
Hamilton’s Woodward Avenue plant captures raw biogas to produce heat and power through a cogeneration unit. The surplus gas is then purified and used to create RNG.
- Processes up to 10,000 m3 of RNG per day.‡‡
- Offsets more than 1,100 tonnes of CO2 annually.***
Ontario’s first carbon-negative busCity of Hamilton: Hamilton Street Railway
Hamilton, Ontario residents can enjoy a cleaner commute on a bus powered by 100 percent RNG. As RNG captures harmful emissions, using it to fuel transit actually goes beyond achieving net zero carbon.
- A made-in-Ontario waste-to-energy solution.
- Uses RNG from StormFisher’s Biogas Facility in London, Ontario.
- Fuelling with RNG is an effective way to fight climate change.
Unlocking the value of organic wasteStormFisher: London Biogas Facility
StormFisher converts organic waste to RNG, with capital support from Enbridge Gas to develop the RNG project. The process captures methane, which would otherwise be released into the atmosphere.
- Processes over 70,000 tonnes of organic waste.
- Eliminates over 8,000 tonnes of GHG emissions.
- Produces over 3 million m3 of RNG.
In the news: Future RNG projects
Customizable RNG solutions
Ontario’s largest RNG facility to be built in Niagara Falls
Enbridge Gas has teamed up with Walker Industries and Comcor Environmental to break ground on an innovative, $42 million RNG project that will create jobs and transform landfill waste into clean, affordable energy.
- The plant is expected to be operational by 2021.
- Will generate enough RNG to heat 8,750 homes per year.
- Will reduce GHG emissions by 48,000 tonnes per year.
Support and expert help to get RNG projects underway
With oversight on landfills, wastewater, energy infrastructure and transit, municipalities are uniquely positioned to produce and use RNG to manage costs, meet sustainability goals and strengthen the local economy.
- Make waste management more effective and utilize existing landfill gas.
- Reduce emissions more affordably, compared to electrification.
- Distribute RNG using the existing natural gas system.
- Heat homes and buildings with blended RNG.
- Convert transit fleets to be fuelled by compressed RNG. Learn about Municipal Transit Solutions.
- Fuel transit and waste fleet trucks with compressed RNG.
Turn farm waste into a new revenue stream and reduce GHG emissions by becoming an RNG producer.
- Gain an effective waste management solution.
- Be part of a growing RNG sector.
- Recover soil nutrients by using the RNG byproduct as fertilizer.
Food and beverage processors
RNG can help manage waste and energy costs while reducing CO2 emissions.
- Use RNG to fuel buildings, processes or fleets.
- Leverage existing natural gas infrastructure.
- Achieve corporate sustainability goals.
Waste management companies
Landfill and waste collection companies can create a new revenue stream by repurposing organic waste to produce and use RNG.
- Instead of flaring, capture biogas to produce RNG.
- Reduce emissions by fuelling fleets with compressed RNG.
- Meet sustainability and environmental goals.
Contact Enbridge Gas to get your RNG project underway
Whether you’re considering producing and using RNG or want to explore the potential, get in touch with our team first for expert advice and ongoing support at every stage.
- Uncover opportunities to produce and use RNG.
- Get expert help with planning and developing your RNG projects.
- Access financing and capital support.
- Leverage technical expertise and assistance.
Is an RNG project right for you?
Contact our team to get your copy of “The Future of Clean Energy: A Guide to Producing and Using RNG.”Get the guide
* Assumed based on market rate.
† Source: parkergallantenergyperspectivesblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/06/how-much-is-wind-power-really-costing-ontario/
‡ Source: www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/canada-feed-in-tariff.html
** Source: cga.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/RNG-Handbook-for-Municipalities-in-the-GTHA_2020-07-07.pdf
†† Source: oeb.ca/rates-and-your-bill/electricity-rates (Rate as of September 2020)
‡‡ Source: biogasassociation.ca/index.php/featured_member/member/the_city_of_Hamilton