Bringing natural gas to your community
We're proposing to bring natural gas to the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne / Kawehno:ke community.
Households that qualify for Ontario's First Nations On-Reserve Delivery Credit have delivery charges for electricity removed from their hydro bills. By switching to natural gas, these households could see savings on home and water heating.
Ontario Energy Board approval is required for this project to proceed. The proposed pipeline routing below is subject to change during the design and execution phases of the project. Check back often for the latest information about the project and when you can start saving!
If approved, this project includes the construction of approximately 21 km of natural gas pipeline, and a station to total an estimated cost of $8 million, made possible by:
- A $1/ month contribution from new and existing natural gas utility customers in Ontario, which was implemented on July 1, 2019.
- An expansion surcharge of $0.23 cents per cubic metre of natural gas used will apply to all customers who connect to the community expansion pipe until the end of the 40 year term.
- For example if a residential home used 2320 m3 of natural gas per year this charge would be $0.23m3 x 2320m3 / 12 months = $44/month.
- The ES is typically higher in the winter months when the heating system is in use vs summer months.
- A contribution from the municipality or Indigenous community served.