Carbon monoxide safety

Carbon monoxide (CO) is odourless, colourless and very poisonous. CO poisoning stops your blood from absorbing oxygen. Exposure to high levels can cause brain damage or even death. CO poisoning can be caused by poorly maintained or malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances, damaged or blocked venting, a blocked chimney or a car running in an attached garage.

Protect against the dangers of CO

  • Inspect your fuel-burning appliances  annually by a registered Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor.
  • If your home has a fuel-burning appliance, fireplace, or attached garage, you are legally required to install a CO alarm near all sleeping areas. For added protection, install a CO alarm on each level of your home.
  • Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing and maintaining your CO alarms.
  • Test your alarms monthly and replace the batteries when necessary.
  • If your CO alarm sounds, or anyone in the house has symptoms of CO poisoning (similar to the flu without the fever), get outside immediately and call 911.
  • To learn more, visit the Technical Standards and Safety Authority's CO Safety website or the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services Carbon Monoxide Alarm Portal.
snow gas meter

Keep your meter clear

man sewer inspection

Sewer safety

if you smell gas call 1-866-763-5427

Smell gas ?