In its pure state, natural gas is odourless. For your safety, we add an odourant to to give it a distinctive smell.
Learn what natural gas smells like with our free scratch 'n sniff pamphlet. Email us your name, address, and how many you would like.
If you smell gas, act fast. For free emergency responsive service, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, call us at 1-866-763-5427.
Signs of a natural gas leak
Smell–A distinctive rotten egg or sulphur like odour.
Sound–Hissing, roaring or whistling.
Sight–Damaged connections to natural gas appliances or vegetation that is dead or dying for no reason.
If you suspect a natural gas leak
- Act quickly and remain calm
- Go outside or leave the area immediately
- Call our 24-hour Emergency Number: 1-866-763-5427
- Never assume someone has already called
Follow these safety precautions
- Don't use phones or electronics near the leak
- Don't turn appliances or lights on or off
- Don't smoke or use lights or matches
- Don't start any vehicles or motors
- If leaking natural gas is burning, call 911 — don't attempt to put the fire out yourself
2018 Smellfie Contest
The Enbridge Gas smellfie booth was at popular events across Ontario throughout 2018. We had a great time educating everyone about natural gas safety. We asked people to take a picture of their face reacting to the awful smell of natural gas - this was their Smellfie. The contest* ended on December 31, 2018. Thank you to everyone that entered. The ten winners of $500 have been drawn and will be announced soon.
Entries are posted in our Flickr photo gallery.
*Winners were chosen through a random draw. Read the full 2018 Smellfie Contest Rules and Regulations.